Don't Walk By 2014
2/26 Update: All DWB outreach volunteer spots are currently full. If you're interested in serving NYC this weekend, check out our urgent needs HERE.
Feb. 8 - Downtown Outreach at Oversea Chinese Mission (Hester St.)
Feb. 15 - East Side Outreach at Fifth Avenue Presbyterian (E. 55th St.)
Feb. 22 - West Side Outreach at Calvary Baptist Church (W. 57th St.)
March 1 - Uptown Outreach at Bethel Gospel Assembly (E. 120th St.)
Don’t Walk By (DWB) is an annual outreach in New York City in which volunteers walk through each street in Manhattan on a search and rescue mission for the homeless.
Volunteers seek to offer every single homeless person or those in need food, warm clothing, a blanket and the opportunity to get off the streets and enter a shelter and residential program.
Since 2009, Hope for New York has partnered with Don't Walk By to mobilize volunteers to offer homeless men and women an alternative to life on the streets.
Click here to register to volunteer.
There are 4 different kinds of volunteer roles with Don't Walk By.
- Street Engagement – Walks a 10×10 block radius with team on search and rescue mission to find the homeless, and offer them a ride back to the anchor church for food, meal, clothes, etc.
- Subway Engagement – Rides a subway line with team on search and rescue mission to find the homeless, and offer them a ride back to the anchor church for food, meal, clothes, etc.
- Hospitality – Works at the anchor church to provide a smile, meal, clothing, medical treatment, resources, and more to the homeless guests that arrive off the streets.
- Team Leader (Street Engagement or Subway Engagement) – Leads a team of the above mentioned volunteers with map, homeless tracking info, and transportation contacts.
**Team Leader Training: Team leaders must register to attend one team leader training at the HFNY Office (W.36th and Broadway) on either Tuesday Jan 28, 6:30pm – 8:00pm or Thursday Feb 6, 6:30pm – 8:00pm.
Guidelines for Group Registration
We would love for you to sign up with your community group or group of friends to volunteer. Here's how it works:
1. As a group, choose a date to volunteer and a role you want to play as a group (street engagement, subway engagement, or hospitality)
2. Choose a group name If your Community Group wants to serve together, decide who will serve as the Team Leader (anyone can serve as a team leader!) and write his/her name on the registration form.
*Team leaders must register to attend one team leader training at the HFNY Office (W.36th and Broadway) on either Tuesday Jan 28, 6:30pm – 8:00pm or Thursday Feb 6, 6:30pm – 8:00pm.
3. Flexibility is key While group affiliations are taken into account when assigning outreach teams, Don't Walk By assigns teams with specific safety constraints in mind and to best serve our homeless neighbors (i.e. co-ed groups, up to 8 people per group, etc). Don't Walk By coordinators will assign your team to a specific zone to walk. You may be placed on another team than your choosing, so we thank you in advance for your graciousness and flexibility!
Click here for a complete list of FAQs. Or email .